Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What are symptoms of a bad timing chain on my car?

Can some1 explain to me please what the symptoms of a bad timing chain is,will there be any vibration ,my 2003 ford mustang base model automatic and rear wheel drive,my car does not spit and sputter but it has 99000 km and i dont think the timing chains have been changed so please list some symptoms of a bad timing chain
What are symptoms of a bad timing chain on my car?
They don't give warning, they just break and then you are screwed for good. When my Lexus got to that point of mileage, since I plan to drive it till it won't go anymore, I just had the timing belt changed. In fact I had ALL the belts changed. It's a good preventive measure. It can go out while the engine is on and that's what I mean by being screwed forever. Why wait till disaster happens when you can avoid it without too much of an expense (new car is more expensive than taking preventive measures).



150K miles and still going strong - also had transmission changed. No other problems!
What are symptoms of a bad timing chain on my car?
I know it doesn't give you any warning it just goes bad and the car will try to turn over but it will not start.
You don't usually change timming chain unless you hear noises coming from the engine usually the chain guide or chain itself. The chain usually can last up t 200K if you maintain the car. Vibration from the car itself is usually a tune up or mounts.
Not firing on start up, loss of power ( horsepower), Warning lights ( ANY ), Rough idle or not wanting to idle without assistance. Some timing belts and chains have adjustment screws you can loosen or tighten to get more life out of them. Pick yourself up a repair manual that will tell you everything you want to know about you're car.
Check you car manual to see when it recommends the timing chain be changed. Whenever that is, do it. Your chain is not your problem. If it was a problem, the engine would already be ruined. Chains either work right or not at all. Sounds like you are due for a tune up
  • website hosting
  • uk hosting
  •