Friday, September 23, 2011

Does My car have a timing belt of a timing chain?

I have bought a y reg ford mondeo with a 2.0L petrol duratec engine. i am confused becasue the manual says change the 'front belt every 135,000 miles. surely thas too long for a timing belt. and i can see a visible belt on the left of the engine however is this fan belt? very confused please help.
Does My car have a timing belt of a timing chain?
I agree with Eric. It is NEVER good for a timing belt to break. On some engines that have close or zero tolerance this can be catastrophic.

It is far better safe(and cheaper) than sorry.
Does My car have a timing belt of a timing chain?
manufacturers push the limits of a timing belt to help you believe the car doesn't need a lot of maintenance. honda is notorious for this, and they push to 105,000. You're better off changing it at 75-80,000 miles and never worry about it breaking.