Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I have a chevy 305 sb and I had a guy change the timing chain and gears and now i have NO POWER.?

thinking my cam is out of time please someone help lead me in timing my cam
I have a chevy 305 sb and I had a guy change the timing chain and gears and now i have NO POWER.?
The first thing that I would do is get a timing light to see if your ignition is firing properly. If everything is fine in that area, then you will probably have to take the timing chain cover off and check the timing marks on the sprockets. It sounds like either your cam sprocket is off by one or your crank is off by one tooth. It shouldn't be too far off if it still runs. This is what I would check. Good Luck. By the way, You will have to pull the number one spark plug out and unplug the other wires in order to find top dead center (TDC). Do this before you start tearing things apart. It would be best if you had a repair manual if you are unsure what to do.
I have a chevy 305 sb and I had a guy change the timing chain and gears and now i have NO POWER.?
Take it back to the guy who changed the timing chain and gears and ask him to correct his mistake.



If you don't trust him to do that, take it to a different mechanic and pay to get his mistake fixed.
get yourself a haynes or chiltons book it guides you step by step threw doing all the timing checks, and also have troubleshooting section to other possible problems.
Ck the ign timing first.if it has est timing he probably did not put it in by-pass mode before setting it.This would cause the timing to be off by probably 12 degrees.