Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Because I refused to get my engine flushed, I stretched by timing chain and voided my warranty. Is this true?

I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra with 29,000miles. 6months ago I was having trouble with the car sputtering and was told my cam sensor was bad. It was replaced, and at this time I was told my engine needed to be flushed ($110). Since I get the oil changed fairly regularly, I refused. Now the sputtering problem has returned. I brought it to the dealer and was told that the 'sludge in my enigne' has stretched the timing chain, which is throwing off the cam sensor. Because I refused the engine flush 6months ago, I was told I have voided my extended warranty. The cost of replacing the timing chain is $2,300. Does any of this sound right?
Because I refused to get my engine flushed, I stretched by timing chain and voided my warranty. Is this true?
I live in the UK and Sentra isn't a model we have here. We may have it but under a different badge.



This sounds highly suspicious.



My advice to you is to establish (obviously from an independent source) whether you car has a timing chain or as I suspect, a timing belt.



Belts do not stretch...........
Because I refused to get my engine flushed, I stretched by timing chain and voided my warranty. Is this true?
sounds 2 me u r getting cam shafted
It sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Engine sludge would not cause the timing chain to stretch. Contact the Nissan home office directly and get a factory rep to hear your story. If the dealer done anything shady they'll come down on him plus you'll get your car fixed under warranty without any cost to you.
Go to another Nissan dealer and see what they say. Obviously, don't tell them anything about the other dealer or what you've had done to the car. Play dumb and start from scratch with them. Let them diagnose the problem from scratch. Have it towed there if necessary.
Sounds pretty lame to me. Fire off an inquiry to nissan and ask them about your dealers policy. You don`t have enough miles on it yet to sludge up. My 78 celica has over 280k on it with the original timing . Try another independant repair shop for another estimate.
That's a crock of crap if I ever heard one,you need to take your vehicle to a real mechanic and a honest one .Whoever told you that is on some good sh#*.I've been a mechanic for thirty plus years and that's one of the better BS stories Ive heard.Good luck to you.
Umm, no, you should speak with the manager, sludge should not %26quot;streach%26quot; a timing chain. If you think of the torque put on the timing chain to spin the cams when you step on it, the excess that sludge could put on is next to nothing if thats even possible. If you have a slude problem on an engine with 29k mi, you should check for a recall. Toyota recently put out a warranty EXTENSION for a possible sludge build up problem in the 2001+ camry's (I got the notice a few weeks back) Streaching the timing chain shouldnt happen for many more miles and even then, shouldnt have a dramatic effect other than not having the timing as accurate (less power) Does your warranty say you have to have an engine flush or just regular maitenence? I doubt that an engine flush is considered %26quot;regular%26quot; as I think like you and just take care of it by changing the oil. You could take it to another dealer and see if they say the same thing without you telling them whats going on. If they diagnose something else, take it back and tell them to fix it due to it not being something that would be caused by the chain. For that matter, are you sure your car doesnt have a timing BELT? look it up, and when you go back, say something like, %26quot;you said it would need a new timing chain right...%26quot; when they say yes, tell them %26quot;GREAT, cause it doesnt even have one, so that shouldnt be an issue...
Sounds like a ripoff. But that's part of the joy of owning a Jap car.There always breaking down and cost a lot to fix.
Get a second opinion! The cam sensor could definately be causing your sputtering problem, but your dealer is full of it. There is no way an engine with 29,000 miles should have that much sludge, especially with regular oil changes. Refusing the engine flush could void your warranty, depending on the stipulations written in the warranty. Absolutely get another opinion and tell them about your cam sensor problems. Replacing the timing chain will be expensive, but sludge would not cause it to stretch like that. Your dealer is trying to pull one over on you. Hope this helps.
As long as you have proof that you have maintained your car properly, then your warranty is still good. A dealer CAN NOT void your warranty if you take your vehicle else where to have regular maintenance done. An engine flush is not part of regular maintenance. With 29,000 miles, sludge isn't even starting to build up in your car's engine. Not to mention, sludge can't cause this. $2300 to change a $20 timing chain is outrageous, if that is even the problem. Timing chains generally will last well over 100,000 miles. Contact Nissan immediately, and then contact your local Better Business Bureau and inform then of the dealer's fraudulent actions.
Ask them to put that in writing .

Try a new dealer one that actually knows how to fix cars.
i've worked as a mechanic for about five yrs at a ford dealer and i've never herd of such a thing as flushing out your engine oil.doing your regular oil changes is the only thing you can do there is no other way to flush out your oil passages that is something they have fabricated knowing you have no idea about motors im assuming. the only thing poss to be flushed in a motor is your radiator fluid. that has nothing to do with that. they are scamming you. call a lawyer
Some dealer is going to be in a load of sh-t. Never in my life have I ever heard of %26quot;sludge%26quot; stretching a chain. When they suggested a flush, you probably had under 25K on it. A stretched timing chain will make noise but because it drives the cam and the sensor reads this, your symptoms would have been noticeable a long time ago. The replacement cost sounds outrageous and the fact they will not honor the warranty, something is starting to look like fraud.
where in the world is this dealership? on Freddie Kruger's elm street? they are so full of s--t I can smell them in Ohio!, take that car to another Nissan dealership and never go back to that one!, thats about the craziest thing I have ever heard of on this website, they are just trying to stick you with the bill, I would call Nissan complaint line and the BBB.
There are some engines that require oil changes every 3,000 miles in order to avoid any varnish or sludge forming at the timing chain TENSIONER. The tensioner is what keep your timing true and your chain taught.



Manufacturers have advisories about engine maintenance....some dealer have even gone so far as to rip out the extended service intervals out of their owner/maintenance manuals because of this.



Do get a second opinion from another dealer. Also perform searches here on the internet.



%26quot;Engine Flushes%26quot; are just that, Flushes....in many lpaces it is a gimmick to charge you more money for a procedure that is usually not necessary.



Oil changes every 3k miles or every 3 mohts (whichever comes first) should keep your engine varnish and sludge free.



Kindest regards,





PS be sure to keep your receipts for the oil changes, as this may end up in arbitration and or court.