Tuesday, September 20, 2011

98 Malibu Timing Chain Tensioner Problems?

I have changed my timing chain tensioner 5 times on my 4 cyl. Malibu. The last time I used an older model tensioner. But i still only get 3 months before my chain starts rattling again. The newer model tensioners will stick in the retracted position. While the older model tensioner wears out the shoe very quickly. I am at my wits end on this. Could someone please help me with this problem. I am so tired of replacing this tensioner every 3 months. Thanks for any input.
98 Malibu Timing Chain Tensioner Problems?
i own a repair shop,and i can tell you whats causing this to happen,the only oil this thing gets is the return oil from the front of the engine,under the intake manifold there's a drain port that may be stopped up or need filled off some to direct the oil in to the path of the chain and gears,i have had this same problem,but not from the Malibu's, from some trucks,you may have to remove the intake to correct this problem,but really that's all the oil the chain and gears get,because the oil level rides down below the point that a bottom gear couldn't pick it up,so it rely,s on what it can get from the return passage way,sometimes there is a burr in it from the factory ,that causes it to re-direct the oil away from it,and this is whats eating the pads up on the tension er,it took me a few tries to finally get one right,but i learned all of his the hard way,it may take a while to get it to where the oil flows good to it,but that will take care of it,good luck,i hope this help,s.
98 Malibu Timing Chain Tensioner Problems?
maybe you need to replace the chain and shoe
well first of all you shouldnt have to replace it that often. you should make sure the tensioner is in its right spot and at the right tension, then make sure belt is on correctly. check the other pulleys one of those could be loose or wobbly too. either way if you have a new tensioner start lookin elsewhere for the problem, hey you might even need a new belt, maybe its been stretched out.
try replacing the chain and maybe gears, everything wears together
I am not up on the Malibu,but I would go ahead and spend the extra money and replace the gears and shoes with the chain and tensioner. The gears might have a little bit of wear as well as the chain. If both have a slight bit of wear added together that just might be enough to cause the trouble.If the chain has enough slap in it, it will slap the tensioner into itself and will not release damaging the spring. I use to be an auto parts manager and I had seen this problem a many times. Not saying that this is your problem, just that it might be.