Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Timing chain replacement on my 1997 infiniti I30?

I have an infiniti I30 and am driving to florida from texas. it's got a little over 180000 miles on it. I got the serpentine belt changed yesterday cause it was cracking. The guy said I also should change the timing chain cause if it snaps it hurts motor and other things. It's not making any noise or anything right now and it is expensive to change the timing chain. Should I get it changed because of the mileage on car and a long drive ahead or should I wait until it starts making noises?



Also what else would I make sure is ready before I leave for Florida, I have not taken a big trip like that before.
Timing chain replacement on my 1997 infiniti I30?
Force of habit for this tech, I guess. Timing chains do fail, but not very often; if it goes, yes, it will take out the top half of the engine, but unless you have some reason to suspect it's on its last links, I'd let it be. I've only heard of one instance of a chain failing in a VQ30DE. (I have a 2000 I30.)
Timing chain replacement on my 1997 infiniti I30?
You are most likely on borrowed time with this timing chain. This is an interference engine. This means the valves must be in the correct position as the piston reaches the top of a stroke or the valve will crash into the piston. When this happens the engine is usually junk.



Interference engines usually require the timing chain or belts replaced ar regular intervals for this reason. The belt or chain can fail without warning. It doesn't need to make any noise to fail. When it fails the engine simply quits and won't start. One or more valves will either be bent or broken. The cylinder head, piston, or cylinder can be damaged.