Tuesday, September 20, 2011

SATURN SL1- TIMING CHAIN OR BELT?

I was seeing various Yahoo answers to this question on other Saturn models, so I will ask this question again. Does my 1999 Saturn Sl1 have a timing belt or a chain? At the reliable auto repair shop I bring to, they said I had a timing chain. Initially , when I asked a Saturn dealer to give a quote for changing timing belt on my model , they quoted $800+-surely if I had a timing chain, they would have said so?
SATURN SL1- TIMING CHAIN OR BELT?
according to autozone, it has a timing chain.
SATURN SL1- TIMING CHAIN OR BELT?
Like all GM models your Saturn has a chain. Your dealership probably quoted you the replacement cost for a chain (a belt would be less than half that) and didn't split hairs on the description since most of the public don't know the difference anyway.



Chains do not require replacement unless you have had a problem. The gears on Saturns are prone to wear which could result in the need to replace them along with the chain.