Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is there a problem with the Timing Chain/belt on 2003 Nissan Micra?

I am in the process of selling my car it is a 2003 Nissan Micra 1.2 S , and the lady that seems most interested in buying the car asked me if we had replaced the Timing Chain. Having had a Nissan Micra in the past, she claims that the timing chain needs to be replaced after 60k miles or 5 years. My Micra has only 42k miles on it and is obviously 6 years old. Apparently changing the timing chain/belt is very expensive and she wants me to take down the price of the car to accommodate. Claiming that she would need to replace the timing chain immediately due to the age of the car. Is she right?
Is there a problem with the Timing Chain/belt on 2003 Nissan Micra?
well if your car runs fine and has no squeaking or knocking then you should be fine. Check for cracks in the belt too (cracks would indicate the need for replacement). I've heard of people getting over 130k miles with the original timing belt. If you wanted to, you can buy one and install it yourself then you would save a lot of money when compared to having a shop do it for you.