Thursday, September 15, 2011

2004 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4L, 4cyl, dealer says it has timing chain, not belt, thus no need to service chain?

Dealer says that in past years, vehicles like my 2004 Camry LE needed normal service performed on timing chains, but this was around the 1990鈥檚. So they said they do not provide as a normal service the changing of a timing chain for my sort of make/model/yr. They said they have changed them but it is rare and only when something became wrong or accident or other. The timing chain costs appr 200 for the part if it ever needed to be replaced. They said, instead of concerning myself with a timing chain, just keep an eye on the serpentine belt which runs about 50 for the part. This can be seen when you open the hood and looks like a huge fat fan belt. They also said that if my car had a timing belt instead of chain, then at 90000 mls they would have changed it. The car runs great, but I heard horror stories about not changing timing belts. Does all of this seem correct? thanks
2004 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4L, 4cyl, dealer says it has timing chain, not belt, thus no need to service chain?
True.
2004 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4L, 4cyl, dealer says it has timing chain, not belt, thus no need to service chain?
Yes that infomation is good. You would never change a timing chain unless there was a problem such as noisey or stretched due to long service life. I do not know of any Toyota timing chain faults, but I have experienced problems with nissan!
From my research I believe you have a chain and the recommended change is at 200,000