Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Which is the intake / exhaust valve? exhaust on right if directly above cylinder?

I just did a major overhaul on this 92 gmc sierra, and the timing is kickin my ****!! i was close, then back to the backfiring! I more than likely went wrong way with dist. but when timing marks were lined up, it spit flame out tbi! I didnt change timing chain cover gasket, so actual timing marks are still unknown!
Which is the intake / exhaust valve? exhaust on right if directly above cylinder?
maybe not timing maybe the hydraulic valves are set too tight. I did that once.
Which is the intake / exhaust valve? exhaust on right if directly above cylinder?
What motor? Remove #1 plug and bring to top dead center. Yes back firing out of tbi is timing. If dstributor was removed, could be 180 degrees out of time. Intake and exhaust change order with each cylinder.
Sound to me that you are one turn out. Remove spark plug on # 1 cyl. Stick your finger in the hole and turn it over slowly. When you feel compression building up continue to the TDC mark. Then set the distributer accordingly. Bob
The intake is usually the bigger, follow an intake manifold runner down to the head.