Thursday, October 6, 2011

Does Every Car Have A Timing Belt/Chain?

I unfortunately have a 1996 Geeeeeeoooooo Tracker, its got 107.5k miles and I'm looking for a new car, people have told me when I am looking at a car to ask when/if the timing belt/chain has been changed. So this got me thinking does my car have a timing belt/chain? If my car does, I don't know when, if ever it has been changed and i don't want my car to crap out on me. So does my car have a timing belt or chain???
Does Every Car Have A Timing Belt/Chain?
It almost undoubtedly has one of the two. Timing chains are usually fairly trouble free, but belts need to be periodically changed - usually around 60k miles or so. It's an expensive nuisance, but the consequences of a broken belt are really, really bad.



FWIW, there are engines that drive the cams strictly with gears, but your's is certainly not in that group. Unfortunately I don't know if the Tracker has a belt or a chain, but I would be on belt if I were a betting kind of guy.
Does Every Car Have A Timing Belt/Chain?
All engines have gears or sprockets. Some have belts. Some have chains. Most have tensioners. Belts must be changed before they break. Most chains will s t r e t c h and change the timing, so they need to be changed. Ask this question at your Geo dealer. Read your owner's manual about scheduled maintenance. Many engines will bend valves if the timing apparatus breaks. Have yours checked out!!!
No, some have timing gears (such as the straight 6 Chevys). Check your owners manual under maintenance, and it should cover it if it has a timing belt.
It's true that timing chains are usually trouble-free, until they break and jack up the whole engine LOL. Timing belts on the other hand you just replace the belt, cheap!
not all of them ! now you take the old 250 chevy engines, they had gear to gear. i know because i had 1 in a 1954 chevy.
I will buy it, how much and where at?
  • How to make a baby quilt
  • email
  •