Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Toyota 22R timing cover removal?

Do you have to remove the head and oil pan to get the front cover off this engine? The repair manual says to remove them both. I took my '86 pickup to a shop yesterday and they charged me 9.5 hrs to change the timing chain, gears, guides and tensioner. The 9.5 hrs quoted includes time for removing the head per Mitchell's, but I don't think that they actually removed it. I know they did not remove the oil pan because they told me they didn't. I just want to know if I have a case for a partial refund or if it is impossible to skip taking off the head.
Toyota 22R timing cover removal?
You can skip taking off the head but you will have to loosen the oil pan. I've done this job numerous times and if you loosen the pan a little the cover will come right out. And the whole job without removing the head or oil pan should only tak 5 hours max.
Toyota 22R timing cover removal?
www.haynes.com, takes about 7hrs if your good. Dont have to take the head off.
in this case.....

you had agree, on the terms and conditions.



that is a common mistake ,from the machanic's patrons,after the mecanics repairs has been perfomed ,it sound soooo easy to do,that doesn't count the 20K dollars in the tool box and the to many years of experience.(when the task is made by a experience fellow,looks easy.but if You try then You realize that every simple thing it take a week)



I am sorry ,to sound rude,I only want to offer an explanation.



bye the way,22R engine is the best Toyota had ever build



the tining belt is metal chain .so ,You don't have to change it ever, unless is broken.(when is broken or deffective it sound ratteling and the engine shake)..... that every 75k milles does not apply to this engine)
%26gt; I just want to know if I have a case for a partial refund or if it is impossible to skip taking off the head.



Your joking, right? LOL



- Is this the first vehicle you ever owned?

- Does the vehicle run fine after they worked on it?

- How long would it take you to do it yourself?

- Do they warranty their work?

- Is this vehicle older than you are (or pretty close)?

- Have you priced a vehicle in this century lately?



Good grief, you're lucky you found someone to work on something that old.



Did you do the math, was it even cost effective to maintain something this old (or continue to maintain it), especially if you have to take to a shop (%26quot;Guber's garage%26quot;). Save your pennies, and look at something that's not being held together with tape and bailing wire.





Call into %26quot;Car Talk%26quot;, and ask them. Thank you, I needed this laugh to start my day! LOL



http://www.cartalk.com/
I believe they will win if the book says that much time, but if I remember right, you don't need to take off the head and pan.
You can change the cover without removing the head, but I highly recommend taking the oil pan off. It is very common for the plastic timing chain guides to break and fall into the oil pan. They could block the oil pickup if left in there and starve the engine of oil.