Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ford Fiesta Encore 1996 - does this have a 'consumable' rubber timing belt or chain?

Bought the car at around 90k miles a few month back, I've since upped that figure to 102,000 - a mixture of city mileage and a reasonable amount of long distance motorway driving.



I could have sworn when my mate (a car dealer) gave me the car and documents that there was a receipt for a timing belt change, but now I'm not sure if I dreamt that as I've triple checked the paperwork and can't find that at all - which is making me wonder now does this car actually have a rubber timing belt?



The reason for having that suspicion is that the genuine 'one lady owner' had absolutely every consumable item replaced at the correct times, it has an absolutely full service history etc. I'd be amazed if she'd missed this.
Ford Fiesta Encore 1996 - does this have a 'consumable' rubber timing belt or chain?
If it's the 1.3 litre petrol engine (1299cc - endura E) as this is the same unit that's fitted to the Ford Ka, it would be a camchain. - but the 1.8 diesel unit has a cambelt.
Ford Fiesta Encore 1996 - does this have a 'consumable' rubber timing belt or chain?
I think the Encore had a version of the old Kent OHV engine.

There isn't a timing belt on this engine,although there is a timing chain inside the front of the engine.

This however dosen't need to be changed normally,the only thing I can think of is maybe the tensioner was worn.
4 cylender engines are a safe bet for a timing belt. I would replace the one on the engine now, and keep track of when that was done, and then, high millage or not, change the belt once every two years.