Friday, June 3, 2011

I have a 67 dart 273. I`m changing the timing chain and cant get the cover off. Removed all bolt and pan bolts?

Do I pry at it or is there a special technique.|||Wow, that is a great car. Hope the body is good. I remember when that was a new car. That little V-8 can be made to run pretty quick and still not be a gas guzzler.





Try a little heat and tapping in all different directions with a rubber hammer. That might break loose the sealer under the cover. Be a bit gentle and it should do harm. Try to hit on a folded edge.|||The gasket sealer likely has it stuck together. I take a piece of copper tubing and flatten one end with a hammer. I file that down to a chisel like edge. Then I tap that between the cover and the block. The copper is softer than the other metals and won%26#039;t damage them. I do that in a couple of places until the cover pops loose.|||Seriously, you need to get down in there with a good flashlight and look all around the pan in some really tight places that you have ALL of the bolts out. Those little buggers can hide where you really can%26#039;t see. Good luck.|||take a hammer and a small screwdriver and in one corner pound the screwdriver in a little between the cover and engine and then pry it off.