Friday, June 3, 2011

How often should you change your timing chain on a 2000 Mustang V6? I've got 94,000 miles on it if that helps?

Never, believe me the chain will last longer than the rest of the engine. You do not need to change the timing chain, if you had a 2000 Focus with a timing %26quot;belt%26quot;, then you would have it changed at 60K or so.|||The best possible piece of information on this question is in your owners manual. I have never owned a mustang but that does not really matter in this case. I have had a timing set break before because I waited til it gave me some trouble. The trouble I experienced turned out to be expensive. When the timing set broke it caused damage to the cylinder head and that had to be reworked also. Actually I believe it is around the 100k mark but I could be wrong. I would change it out based on what is stated in the owners manual...................cheap insurance.|||If you have been doing proper maintenance (oil changes) on you 3.8, you should never need to change the timing chain. The only time you would touch it is during a full engine rebuild, and generally only then because it%26#039;s convenient to do since you have the cam out anyway.|||you said it, %26quot;timing chain%26quot; not timing belt.. they are not a maintenance item, they are changed when the engine is overhauled, so don%26#039;t worry about it..|||Only when it has trouble starting because it will be sliping and it wount turn the crank